Child Fatality Review Team
Child Fatality Review Teams function under Social Services Law 422b(1). The Onondaga Child Fatality Review Team began meeting in 1996. It now meets monthly to review the unexpected death of any Onondaga County child or adolescent 17 years of age or younger. The Multidisciplinary Team also uses review findings to analyze patterns of child deaths and makes recommendations for prevention of future fatalities.
To conduct a comprehensive, multidisciplinary review of unexpected child deaths in Onondaga county; Better understand how and why children die; Analyze the patterns of child deaths; Use findings to take action to prevent other child deaths, illness and injury and; Keep children healthy, safe and protected.
In keeping with our mission, the Child Fatality website, provides information for both parents and professionals about child safety and health, as well as downloadable resources. The site also offers bereavement information to help families cope with the death of a child.
- Child Protective Services
- Office of Children and Family Services
- County Public Health
- Commissioner/ designee
- County Mental Health
- Medical Examiner
- District Attorney/designee
- County Attorney/designee
- Local/State Law Enforcement
- Emergency Medical Services
- Pediatrician with expertise in child abuse
- Representatives from Crouse, St. Joseph’s and University Hospitals
- Center for Maternal Child Health (C-Match)
- McMahon/Ryan Child Advocacy Center
- Syracuse Community Health Center