Go Blue 4 Kids
April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month.
Throughout the month of April in observance of Child Abuse Prevention Month, McMahon/Ryan Child Advocacy Center invites everyone in our community to participate in our awareness campaign, Go Blue 4 Kids. This campaign shines a light on an issue that’s lived too long in the dark: child abuse.
During April, everyone can Go Blue 4 Kids and help raise awareness of the ongoing issues of child abuse and neglect by participating in a number of community outreach events. In addition, each person can make a difference through their visual commitment to help end child abuse by wearing blue to work, purchasing pinwheels, and/or planting a blue pinwheel garden. Please see the link below to see what “Go Blue” items are available.
Last year, a number of local landmarks in our community, such as The Hall of Languages at Syracuse University, Crouse Hospital Clock Tower, and City Hall to name a few, illuminated their buildings with blue lights providing a visible commitment to end the epidemic of child abuse in our community. By the end of April 2016, our Center reached an all time high with over 10,000 pinwheels being planted throughout Onondaga County.
You may ask Why Blue? Why Pinwheels?
In 1989, a grandmother in Virginia began the blue ribbon campaign as a tribute to her three-year-old grandson who died at the hands of his mother’s abusive boyfriend. Since then, concerned citizens have worn blue as a symbol of the need to prevent child abuse and neglect.
The blue pinwheel is a national symbol for child abuse and neglect prevention. It is an uplifting reminder of a happy childhood and bright future all children deserve.
Ways to Go Blue:
Don't forget to post your pictures on Facebook or Instagram with #GoBlue4Kids
- Attend our Annual Go Blue 4 Kids Breakfast: Guest speaker: Kevin M Mulcahy-Child abuse survivor and prosecutor of child exploitation cases Friday, March 31st, Holiday Inn, Electronics Parkway, Liverpool, NY-Check in and breakfast at 7:00am. Program begins promptly at 7:30am to 8:30am. Purchase Your Tickets Today!
- Crime Victim Candlelight Vigil: Tuesday, April 4th, 6:30pm to 8:00pm, Hendricks Chapel on the Syracuse University campus, free of charge, to honor the victims of crime and child abuse. Advocate 4 Children Awards will be presented. Click here for more info!
- Honoring Crime Victims Ceremony: Thursday, April 6th at St. Paul's Cathedral, Downtown Syracuse, 5:30pm to 7:00pm, free of charge, to honor those who have survived violent crime and those who have lost their lives. Click here for more info!
- Attend our Annual Pinwheel Ball: Enjoy an evening of live music by Entourage, delicious food and an exciting live/silent auction. Our Champion 4 Children Award will be presented. This formal event will take place Apirl 8th from 6:00pm to 11:00pm at the Oncenter, Syracuse. Purchase Your Tickets Today!
- Bullying Busters: What to do about Bullying: presented by Ann Botash, MD, FAAP, April 12 at the Kinney Performance Center at 11:30. Click Here for more info!
- A Cappella for the Fellas 2017: Saturday, April 15th, 7:30pm to 10:00pm, Hendricks Chapel on the Syracuse University campus. Tickets available by calling 315-478-9710-featuring collegiate and local a cappella groups to benefit McMahon/Ryan Child Advocacy Center. Click here for more info!
- Sign Up for our Step Up 4 Kids 5K/ Kids' Fun Run: A family fun event featuring a Kids' Fun Run and certified 5K followed by awards, live entertainment and children's activities. Sunday, April 30th, 8:00am at Onondaga Lake Park, Liverpool Sign Up Today!
- Blow Away Child Abuse: All month long you have the opportunity to "blow someone away" and show your commitment to ending child abuse in our community. Complete the form, contribute, and suprise someone!
- Volunteers Needed: If you yould like to volunteer at our Step Up 4 Kids family event or help plant a pinwheel garden, please call Theresa at 315-701-2985.
- Learn the Facts about Child Abuse: Sign up for Darkness to Light's Stewards of Children Training and learn the 5 Steps to Protecting Our Children. April Special - the $15 training fee will be waived for the month of April for all April registrants. If you are interested in training your staff, we will come to you. Click here for more information and dates.